Saturday 14 January 2017

Peace Up, A-Town Down

The last time I wrote for you wonderful people my heart really wasn't in it. There is far too much to do in this glorious country. The distractions are rife and I've actually got some people to hang out with who aren't moving to the next town or city tomorrow. Surely you noticed the  abrupt ending and lack of enthusiasm. With that in mind a festive hiatus was in order and now I'm back with a bang like an explosive boomerang (If you need a ghost writer Jay Z just holla)
So what does a New Zealand festive hiatus entail you may wonder? Well I've complied a list of all the good shit I've been up to.
There's been more boat rides, catching fish, free diving for scallops, paddle boarding (badly), body boarding, backyard cricket, dolphins, sharks, beer pong, pie face, 80's-noughties kiwi rock bands, wizard staffs, Mo-Town dance parties in the centre of Auckland, Bollywood music videos on top of a volcano, aqua turds, woodland turds, crafty beer, pretentious british man punching way above their weight, fake moustaches, Turkish kebabs, Doing Natasha Bedingfield at karaoke in a gay bar, Blasting Tchaikovsky during a bar lock in at 4 am, Climbing several mountains, Climbing a volcano with great views over Auckland when it was foggy  , Cutting your hand on 3 separate occasions because the twist top beers are a little too tough to open, Drinking a beer that was over 3 years past its expiry date, Multiple games of Articulate, Visiting the 4th largest tree in the world, Consuming the "Best fish and chips in the world" in Manganui sitting over the water in the harbour, Volcano and chill, Making s'mores with Lindt chocolate and those special NZ Christmas cookies, Normal Jenga, Giant Jenga, Jigsaw puzzles, Where's Wally jigsaw puzzles, Frozen sour grape Fanta, Beer funnels and several core classes at the gym.
Whilst I have listed many of the fun things I've been up to NYE was an absolute belter. As mentioned in my last post new year was spent at the Coroglen Tavern. A pub in the middle of nowhere which strangely seems to attract quite good bands from all over. Mi-Sex, Dragon and The Feelers tore the place down. The music was great and I was having so much fun I didn't realise there was an area to buy chips and burgers. Before hand the squad assembled at the campsite for beers, river swimming and general revelry. On the return leg there were approximately 500 people trying to squeeze into a 30 person which didn't suit me at all. Instead I decided a 4km walk in the dark down a country road would be quicker than waiting for the bus and it very nearly was. There ended up being no second run of the bus and myself and Greggsy got 7/8's of the way home before being picked up by our friends who hitched a ride in a mini bus. After this I managed to get myself lost and made friends with an Aussie couple who made me 2 fried egg sandwiches before I finally stumbled back to my tent in the wee hours. All in all its been a successful few weeks.
As some of you may already be aware it's my birthday on January 21st and that means that I'm officially getting on a bit, 25 years old means lots of things, not all of them good.
Firstly, if I was to go on X-Factor (for some strange reason) I'm now in the 25 and older category.
Secondly my 16-25 rail card days are numbered. Soon full price train travel is going to become the norm.
Thirdly, people expect you to have your shit together at 25. Your friends start pooping out babies, getting engaged and I'm over here deciding if 4 cookie dough crunch ice creams for lunch is excessive. However it's not all doom and gloom. It's become apparent from my time away that getting older isn't always a bad thing, after all age is but a number, it's never too late to do what you want and to be honest, partying every night/weekend really isn't that much fun. You start taking less shit too, my patience for people who aren't a positive influence has dwindled and accepting that you won't like everybody nor will everyone like you. Look at me getting all deep and philosophical.
When you're reading this I will be nursing a slight hangover after watching Fat Freddy's Drop sell out a 10,000 capacity gig at a winery to begin my birthday week.
Peace,




















No comments:

Post a Comment