Friday 2 December 2016

One Down

*Disclaimer alert* typos, grammatical errors or repeated photos are the result of me being too damn busy*
It's finally hit home that I'm leaving India. How time has flown, only 2 weeks I go feels like an eternity and I've covered more miles and seen more monuments/temples in the past few days than I have done for half my trip. I write this sat in Delhi airport hoping to post it before my departure at 23-45 local time for Guangzhou (China for those that cba Googling it)
Since the last update I have been to Jaipur, Agra and Delhi. This was the final leg of my Indian interlude (great pun, nailed it) and the time for reflection is upon us.
In Jaipur I climbed the "Monkey Temple" that apparently houses 10,000 monkeys (unconfirmed) to take a sick photo or two check Facebook I actually saw a baby monkey ride a pig and it was epic. Finally I crossed paths with an elephant on the street in India and my trip has been completed emotionally for me. I even sent out some postcards. Don't be offended if they don't turn up, it is India after all. People literally steal stamps from letters. I also met some pretty great people at my hostels and went on some excellent adventures all over. There was also copious amounts of old monk rum/contessa rum consumed at a very reasonable £4.32 for a 70cl.
When it came time to leave Jaipur there must have been a confidence and arrogance (difficult to believe I know) exuding from me. The universe decided that enough was enough and it was time for a bump in the road. Approx 70km from Agra our bus broke down with no indication as to when it would be fixed,what was going on or where the fuck we were. After worrying my Mother things were resolved within 2 hours making the journey 8 hours as oppose to the advertised 6. Whilst on my bus trip I made the acquaintance of a Mexican woman whom after having her heart broken by an Indian man back home, decided to come to India and snare as many Indian men as she can.
Upon arrival at the hostel I was greeted with a friendly English girl and not 1 but 2 puppies who they hostel had adopted. Now my time in Agra was limited, but anybody who knows Delhi will be aware there's not exactly loads to see apart form the Taj Mahal and a fort. Working to a schedule meant that time in Agra was precious and this meant an early morning trip to the Taj Mahal.
The Taj Mahal, what can I say about the Taj. Do not go in the morning in winter, that is what I will tell you. Visibility was at an all time low with a thick fog enveloping the whole Taj Garden's. It felt more like a bitter winter morning in Slough rather than Northern India's typical sunny climate. After waiting 2.5 hours I had to hit the road and snapped some pretty awesome pictures still. The Taj is the most expensive attraction in India (from my knowledge) at 1000 Rupees approx £11.50. The internal debate whether to go or not really was troubling and with hindsight I'm glad I did. If you are going to go, swing by in the afternoon and brave the queues.
Despite getting on the wrong bus and having to pay 200 rupees for the pleasure (I got on the a/c one vs the non a/c that I booked) the journey to Delhi was relatively tame and arrival at my friend Vijay's house happened without complication.
Vijay lives in Southern Delhi, in the self proclaimed "trendy part of town" my pale complexion was less shocking to the locals than usual which was refreshing. After meeting Vijay In Jaipur he offered to put me up I'm Delhi (after a few beers/rums) this was an offer you can't say no to simply because Indian hospitality is second to none. He really went above and beyond by taking me to see 9/13 tourist attractions in one day in Delhi on his moped and for that I am truly grateful. 7 hours on a moped however made me sore. Delhi wasn't exactly the best and I've certainly enjoyed other cities more. What we did do is visit a restaurant called Karim's. Internationally know as one of the best in Asia it did not disappoint.
After nearly missing my flight due to Delhi airport's silent announcement policy and my Maharajah Mac. I arrived safely in China at 8am local time. Hanging out at my 5* hotel taking a bath and catching up on some sleep feels well deserved.
India was excellent but I really can't see it being for everyone. It's dirty, it smells, the constant eyeing up from the people, the currency issues, the food and Delhi belly. However even with these things I will be heading back again in the future. The people are truly special and it is a magical place with some incredible beauty.
On to the next one












No comments:

Post a Comment